Product Manager PractitionersProduct managers specialise in facilitating and coordinating the evolution of a product’s lifecycle, while identifying areas where challenges exist for the business via its customers and users.
The product management practitioner course will enable you to do the following with confidence in an agile environment:
Understand the overall development, marketing, and user adoption of a product.
Possess an awareness of the several development stages across teams.
Leading the coordination of the planning, designing, developing, testing, launching, maintenance, marketing, and customer success.
Who is it for?
This course is for anyone working in the public or third sectors in Scotland and working in a product management, delivery management or business analyst role.
What are the benefits?
By attending the course, you will learn to apply a practical understanding of:
- Agile values, especially in understanding that Agile is about trying ideas, learning, iterating and learning fact in order to innovate.
- Agile principles, especially in the context of implementing consistent product release processes within a product team.
- Why Agile, and Complexity: It is about the need to understand that development teams are required to adopt a mindset in which they are there to serve customers in ways that meet the needs of the business.
- Sprint ceremonies, events, artefacts and roles: Product managers need to use their skills to generate solutions with the use of prototypes, experiments, iteration, user stories and acceptance criteria.
- The importance of the Product Vision: Product managers must be proficient at articulating a product vision, which is designed to describe how a product will be viewed in a given market by users and stakeholders.
- Story Mapping and User Stories: Identifying user stories that are designed to meet the goals that brought about the need for the product to be developed.
- Backlog management: Product managers should be the gatekeepers of the backlog, especially when it comes to managing product requests from user and stakeholders, and prioritising work for the team.
Skill level: Practitioner
The course develops knowledge associated with the following skills:
- Agile working
- Problem ownership
- Product ownership
- User focus
- Life-cycle perspective
- Operational management
- DDaT perspective
- Experience of working within constraints
- Financial ownership
- Strategic ownership
Day 1 – AM
- Ice Breaker (30 minutes)
- review Pre-work Q&A (45 minutes)
- Set up ‘What is Product Manager’ (45 minutes)
- Offline Work (45 minutes)
Day 1 – PM
- Set up ‘Agile Teams’ (30 minutes)
- Offline work ‘Your Agile Team’ (30 minutes)
- Replay Agile Teams (30 minutes)
- Set up DSSS (45 minutes)
Day 2 – AM
- Offline DSSS work (45 minutes)
- Replay DSSS work (45 minutes)
- Daily practice set up
- Daily practice offline work
Day 2 – PM
- Set up vision to delivery (60 minutes)
- Offline vision to delivery
Day 3 – AM
- Replay vision to delivery work
- Remaining time – 30 minute 1-2-1 or small group sessions with Helen
The course is delivered as follows:
- We are piloting the delivery of this course via our new training platform “Neve” – once you have registered you will receive an enrolment link to access the platform a week prior to the course commencement along with further instructions
- Regular breaks during training
We encourage you to turn on your camera, however this is not a mandatory requirement. If you have any learning requirements, please contact us before the course begins.
Fees and funding
This course is funded by the Scottish Digital Academy. Please read our terms and conditions and note that a fee may be payable for late cancellation or non-attendance.
Day 1 – 30th May – Full Day (Some time on Zoom calls, some time self working)
Day 2 – 31st May – Full Day (Some time on Zoom calls, some time self working)
Day 3 – 1st June – Half day in the morning
Once you have registered, you will receive a confirmation email from us. There may be additional information contained within the email. The course joining instructions will be issued one week before the course start date to your registered email address.
This course is facilitated on our behalf by one of our official delivery partners. You may receive additional information from them prior to or after the course start date.