Data Literacy CourseThe course is aimed at people who work with data, but who do not have a data analysis background. The course will help to interpret visual data such as graphs and charts as well as understanding what the data is actually telling them.
The course is 2 consecutive days with a combination of lectures and hands-on exploration of data concepts. It is structured as 4 half day sessions delivered over 2 days.
- Interpreting visual data
- Misleading with data
- Correlation vs causation
- Numerical reasoning – absolutes, percentages and relative values
- Defining uncertainty
- Where uncertainty occurs in practice
- Embracing uncertainty
- Case study
- Hands-on workshop exploring data scenarios likely to occur in the real world
- Students work in pairs to explore visual data and apply knowledge learned in Sessions 1 and 2 to answer questions posed in the workshop
- Introduction to modelling and different types of models
- Explore how models are simplifications
- Importance of updating models
What are the benefits?
By the end of the course, you will be able to understand what a graph is telling them, and appreciate how uncertainty affects the interpretation of data. You will get hands-on experience of answering common business scenarios using data and will understand how models can be used to help with analysis and also why models may be inaccurate.
The course will be delivered in person, at CodeClan Edinburgh Campus over 2 consecutive days, with a break for lunch approximately half way through each day.
Timings are approximate and some sessions may run longer than others.